Taking the myth out of low vision practice
So often our visually impaired patients find it difficult to find low vision services within optometry practice.
Our presentations aim to encourage practitioners to manage patients in practice more successfully.
Interactive presentations will cover the essentials of low vision practice from determining magnification, to successfully prescribing the most appropriate low vision devices.
Presentations are illustrated by real patient examples and are followed by hands on practical sessions covering the methods for successfully prescribing low vision devices.
Both presentations are accredited by the GOC for 5&4 Enhanced CET points.
All of our courses are run in collaboration with Jane Macnaughton MCOptom. Jane is the director of Clearview training a UK based independent training course provider for the optical sector. Jane has presented at several CET meetings over the past 20 years. She is the author of the Eye Essentials text, Low Vision Assessment and runs a private Low Vision Service in Leicestershire & Rutland. Jane also works as a specialist optometrist at Leicester's Royal Eye Infirmary.
2.5 hour interactive seminar presentation covering the following detail:
- Certification process reviewed
- Current population demographic and the effect upon the future of low vision service provision
- Vision Assessment - the importance of acuity and contrast reserves.
- A discussion and demonstration of simple optical and non optical low vision aids that may be provided in general optometric practice with a focus on the elderly patient.
- Management and referral strategies for the more complex patients.
2 hour interactive seminar presentation covering the following detail:
- A review of spectacle magnifiers and telescopic devices, patient selection and training.
- A review of electronic vision enhancement systems; advantages and disadvantages over optical systems.
- Training - from field expanders to eccentric viewing.
- Management options for younger patients from school to the workplace.
Associated Optical's Low Vision Training is run at various locations in the UK (please see website for details), however, on-site
training is available - click here for details
Tel: 01628 605433
Fax: 01628 665077